Thursday, February 16, 2012

To Feed a Fiesta...

CROCKPOT CHICKEN FAJITAS


Thanks also to Sherry Haubert for inspiring me with a similar recipe!

*This recipe can feed at least 10 people for lunch, so feel free to make and freeze leftovers or halve!
Ingredients:
6 - 8 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1 tbsp lime juice
1/4-1/3 c balsalmic vinegar
1/4 - 1/2 c taco seasoning (I use Ortega brand)
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 jalapeno
1 sweet onion
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 can diced tomatoes ( I use roasted garlic flavor from Hunt's)

The night before:
Slice up your chicken into strips.  Place chicken in large ziploc and pour the lime juice, balsalmic vinegar, and taco seasoning over it.  Shake to evenly coat, and place aside in the refrigerator.  Slice up all your peppers and the onion and place in the fridge until morning.

Morning of Fiesta!
Place half your veggies and the peeled garlic cloves at the base of your crockpot.  Dump in the chicken over top - if you have a ton of excess marinade, I would opt to spoon the chicken out and add only a tbsp of it to the pot to avoid soggier fajitas.  Spread remaining veggies over the chicken.  Strain the excess juice from the diced tomatoes and add on top of the veggies.

If serving for lunch: Cook on HIGH for 4 hours

 
*Note: Timing doesn't have to be exact, but I wouldn't go more an hour past 4

1 comment:

  1. FYI - The 4 hour timing produces a much better product! I tried the 8 hour while I was at work the other day, and it made the chicken breast a little too dry for my taste.

    ReplyDelete